Tuesday, November 29, 2011

“Misery Queen” by Matt McDonnell

Our carʼs clock said 11:05. The radio was on and Ryan Seacrest was talking about something I didnʼt care about. Outside, the leaves were the color of Thanksgiving, golden, brown, red, and orange on the balding trees. We passed a sign saying “Go Cotuit Kettleers!” Cotuit is a small town in Cape Cod. I asked, “Can we stop by the candy store?” I knew that going to the candy store was going to be a long shot, but I had nothing to lose. My mom replied, “Maybe, weʼll see.” We were going to Roche Brothers in order to feed our rather large family. I started staring out the window, when the song came on. It was “Dancing Queen” sung by the cast of Mamma Mia. This song would haunt me for the next year whether it be sung by someone I knew or the catchy beat got stuck in my head like candy in your teeth, you try so hard to get it out but it will not budge. I disliked this song very much. It reminded me of a girly, annoying musical, like the one my mom took me to when I was six. My mom took me to a Disney on Ice, which was heavy on the princesses. Throughout the entire thing I complained because the princesses of every Disney movie were singing every minute throughout the two hour performance.

Trapped in the car, I changed the channel four times, and the same song was on three of the four channels. “Itʼs like the radio wants me to die!” I exclaimed after changing the channel a third time and finally a fourth time.I finally found a “Dancing Queen” free channel. I sighed in relief.

My mom said “I love that song!” and changed the channel back to the upbeat song and turned the radio up.

"Youʼre crazy!” I shouted over the radio. I turned it down and changed it to yet another channel. “How do you even like that song?” I questioned her.

“It is catchy and fun” my mom said in an annoyed voice. Before I could argue with her, she quickly said “My car, my rules” and just as her hand was about to change it back I swiftly shut the radio off.

“Now we are both happy” I said with a grin.

"Okay, fine”, she simply said, “but I get to sing it out loud.” And unfortunately for me, my mom had a recording-device like brain when it came to music and she heard enough of the chorus of “Dancing Queen” to play it back through her mouth. She sang all the way back from Roche Brothers. It annoyed me like a thousand mosquitos would, and it seemed to take forever but we finally got back to our house. I never did get to go to the candy store.

1 comment: