Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Deadliest Catch by Ian Webb

I leapt down into the surf and grasped the squirmy beast as it tried to wriggle free. It was a billion degrees on a summer day not too long ago. I was on the beach at Cape Cod with my family and a few cousins. I was in the water snorkeling around when I saw something swim in front me like a flash of grey from the murky depths. At first I assumed it was a small fish only a few inches long, but then I realized it was the tail of a foot long baby sand shark darting past. Quickly, I surfaced and yelled,
”Dad, I just saw a shark!” I paused then added, ”a small one” 
so as not to cause alarm. He didn’t even turn. but just said, 
” That’s fantastic Ian”,
and returned to playing with my little brothers. Many people heard and it turned out one of my cousins had seen the same thing. I walked back to the to get something to eat when I saw a bunch of people gathered at the waters edge with nets. A few of my brothers, my dad, and I walked down to see the commotion. My uncle Dan, who was down there said, 
“Isn’t this strange? I’ve been here every summer since I was a kid and I’ve never seen this before.”
I looked down and saw more small sand sharks playing in the surf. The people at the waters edge were using nets but kept coming up empty. I ran down the beach to a spot where the sharks were, but far enough away from other people to try and catch one. I dove and dove but always missed them by a hair. Then there was a large commotion at the end of the beach where everyone was. They had caught one. My older brother Charles, who had caught it, was just as surprised as everyone else and, not having a good hold on it, accidently flung it back in. At that moment something touched my foot; I looked down and saw one of the sharks sitting still in the water. I dropped down on it and to my surprise felt it wiggling in my hands I brought it up and found that I had caught it.  
My little cousin Kate who was only six years old and had had multiple knee surgeries was not able to catch one so I brought it up to her and let her hold it.
” Here ya go”
“Thanks Ian!”
She said as she stared at the shark wide eyed. We held it out of the water for a while, but soon enough the time came to let him go. As I was letting him go I held onto its tail loosely and let it wriggle free realized that I had caught a shark. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how when you caught the shark you let your little cousin hold it because she was not able to catch her own. This was very kind and man for others-ly.

    ReplyDelete